T-Mobile Provides a Compelling Investment Opportunity

I have written at length about my research regarding government regulation in the wireless telecommunications industry, which I had to conduct for Econ 432. As I studied the regulatory and antitrust issues facing this industry, I because interested in it from an investment stand point as well. Last month, I pitched an investment in T-Mobile (NYSE:TMUS) to an investment club that I am a member in called Michigan Interactive Investments and the club invested in the company following the pitch. Our thesis was that T-Mobile survived an attempted takeover by AT&T in 2011 thanks to an antitrust intervention and since then has come a long way in terms of boosting its network quality and brand reputation. As the primary disruptive force, in a relatively uncompetitive industry, I believe T-Mobile has the capability to disrupt the established business model and steal significant share from its competitors, which is why I recommend investing in it now.

From an industry perspective, wireless telecommunications seems to be a very attractive industry. According to IBIS World Reports, the industry is expected to grow at 6.6% percent over the next five years, outpacing GDP growth. The driver for this growth is not necessarily adding new subscribers, but rather selling existing subscribers more data. Individuals are purchasing more devices that need wireless connections, such as tablets so data needs will continue to rise for some time to come, which will benefit the entire industry.

The necessary requirement in order to sell more data to consumers, however, is a good network. A good network requires heavy investment in infrastructure and spectrum licenses. This mean that barriers to entry are very high, which should protect incumbents like T-Mobile. One question is, though, how does T-Mobile’s network stack up against competitors? According to CNET, T-Mobile CEO John Legere has claimed that the company now has the fastest 4G LTE speeds in some markets, as shown by average speeds on Speedtest.net, a long way from not having LTE at all three years ago. It is true that they are the smallest of the Big 4 wireless companies, but they have made great strides in improving their network. Now that they have a network that they are closer to their rivals in terms of quality, T-Mobile is free to compete on other points like price and contract flexibility in order to win customers.

I also believe now is a great time to invest in T-Mobile because there is a very low-key catalyst that could boost the stock significantly – the 2015 600 MHz spectrum auction. According to the Wall Street Journal, the FCC is planning to auction a significant chunk of spectrum in the 600 MHz range, which has some of the best properties of any spectrum ever auctioned, making it incredibly valuable. All spectrum below 1 GHz is considered low frequency and has excellent propagation and range properties, which make them very valuable to wireless broadband providers. T-Mobile is the only wireless company without significant low frequency holdings as shown below as the WSJ explains.

The key to the 2015 auction is that the FCC is considering imposing caps that limit how much the Big 2 – AT&T and Verizon – can acquire of the low frequency spectrum. This could be a big win for T-Mobile, which would have a clear path at acquiring the spectrum it needs to further improve its network and compete at a higher level with the Big 2.

Because the market may not be fully buying into T-Mobile’s turn around, or may not be fully pricing in the possibility of the company winning low frequency spectrum, I believe the stock may be underpriced at the current level and now is a great time to invest in a company that is one the rise.

3 thoughts on “T-Mobile Provides a Compelling Investment Opportunity

1. josimon

T-Mobile does have an interesting advantage here. They have surpassed many barriers that have proved them to be a stable company in this market. However, what about other major competitors such as Verizon and AT&T? Yes, T-Mobile has stepped up their brand image over the past couple of years to stay as a competitor, but it is only a matter of time when the Big 2 make a “Big” move to take T-Mobile down.

2. alexfigu@umich.edu'alexfigu

I read about the spectrum sale, and saw that AT&T and Verizon would be barred from bidding on a significant amount of the spectrum, some 30% I believe. But that being said the FCC Chairman has expressed interest in opening the “wireless data” industry up to companies outside of the big 4 wireless phone providers. He has done this by showing favor to the ruling of a few satellite companies that could eventually provide subscription based wifi service connectable to phones and tablets. This service would be a much cheaper alternative to expensive data packages from the phone companies and could actually perform better than 4G/LTE. With there becoming more available alternatives to expensive data, these companies could see declining revenue as these alternatives get FCC approval.

3. cjamesj

Interesting post. I think T-Mobile is doing a good job at trying to further compete with the big 2 competitors, however in the long run I don’t think it will be enough. I think Verizon and AT&T will be able to outspend them to maintain a competitive advantage.