(Revised 2) College Grads Financial Disaster

With a presumably large portion of this class expecting to graduate college in the near future, one common worry is our financial success after we walk down the isle and pick up our diplomas. Graduating for many marks the first time they will be out on their own, either entering the workforce or moving on with their schooling taking out substantial loans to pay for the continuance of their studies. Just like all other new beginnings, this one will be scary at first.

On top of being financially independent for the first time, there are many other complicating factors. Our economy is finally recovering from a recession and the job market looks optimistic for many. However we are all at an age where we understand what just happened. Seeing the market dive in 2009 has left many of us skeptical of investing money in stocks. A study found that most millennials are investing like their grandparents losing significant gains. Buying into an exchange-traded funded following the S&P 500 would have realized a 30% return, while many millennials money sat on money in savings accounts realizing very limited returns. After a shaky January the account would be down 4%, still having a sizable advantage over the out dated savings fund.

Aside from the market being a big scare, we also face the new age of electronic money. Something not many our age are afraid of and most of us embrace, however when not used properly it is easy to find ourselves in a financial disaster. If the class is anything like me, cash is becoming a scarcity in my wallet with most purchases being funded through debit or credit cards. As college graduates, its not likely were going to make a big ticket purchase right off the bat and bankrupt us for the future, however it is easy to lose sight of the every day purchases. The purchases add up over the month and it don’t have to be faced until it is summed at the end of the month in our bills. It’s likely that electronic currencies such as bitcoin will only further complicate this making it even more difficult to track our spending.

As scary as the first portion of this may seem, all hope isn’t lost for us. By acting responsible with our finances we can set ourselves up for long term success. The first recommendation for college grads is to get educated on personal finances and the stock market. I’d say our class has a solid leg up on our piers, however it is important that we remain informed about the status of the economy post graduation. The second piece of advice is to to work with a financial advisor and set  goals for yourself, both long term and short term. Weather its paying off grad school loans, owning your first home, paying for a big wedding, or retiring to a home on the beach in Florida, you just need something to work towards. Working towards your goals will not only help you eliminate impulse spending but also be rewarding when you finally reach them.

Although we will be up on the stock market, saving for things like retirement can be tricky. When we graduate it may seem to early to start saving, but if you have the extra money the investment could pay dividends in the long wrong. The problem is we most likely be as informed on the retirement type funds as some seasoned financial advisors. They will be able to explain the differences between 401(k)s, IRAs, Roth IRAs, and emergency savings funds. There is no perfect combination to use, each individual can use a unique combination to maximize their investment. Financial advisors can also help decide the benefits between things like professionally managed mutual and funds following a set index.

My last piece of advice is to have faith in the stock market. We’ve seen the troubles its caused in the recent years which scares us, but remember there were booming times too that we are too young to remember, and these times will return.

4 thoughts on “(Revised 2) College Grads Financial Disaster

1. xcharles

You bring up some very valid points. Graduating next week still hasn’t hit me yet, and after that I plan to take on more debt and start grad school. It’s a bit scary to see the tuition jump, but I know the payoff will be worth it in the future. I do plan to invest in the stock market and see what’s out there in terms of financial advising, however I feel that the best way to really get a grasp for life after college is to read as much as possible about finance, constantly. I believe this class has prepared us well in that we are already thinking far into our futures.

2. ajsanna

I agree with much of what you said. Many of our peers do not have a good grasp on personal finances or long term investing. Many have to worry about paying off student loans in the short term. I am not sure how to fix these issues but I do believe we as a society need to work to address them.

3. alexfigu@umich.edu'alexfigu

I think as young people as a whole, we don’t realize that its never too early to start investing. Many are scared to put their money to work and keep their money in savings accounts that have little to no gains. By taking money out of our savings and putting it into the S&P500 we could do a lot better.

4. schultka

You make a lot of important points that are very applicable to new graduates. I think one of the most important things to take into consideration is financial literacy. It’s important to be well educated in personal finance so you can make sound financial decisions and make the most out of your money. It’s a good idea to set goals for yourself and make a budget so you know exactly where you are spending your money and whether or not you are making unnecessary purchases. It’s also a good idea to invest in the stock market while you are young. You have the rest of your career to make money so it is not as risky if you invest early on in your career.